Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm a believer

I just got back from seeing Dear John. Overall, it wasn't a terrible disappointment, but at the same time, I hoped for more. Like always, the book was better.

The real question that arose from this outing is, have authors like Nicholas Sparks given me a false hope about what love can truly be?

In the past I have been told I need to stop chasing a fairytale. I was told that real life isn't like what is depicted on screen or written on paper, that true love isn't everything I expect it to be.

I don't can't believe that. Call me foolish, naive, what you may, but I believe in love and frankly, I need to believe in love. I have so much love to give that I simply cannot fathom the idea of not sharing it with someone who feels for me everything I feel for them.


We all have our own ideas about what true love is; our own definition of "happily ever after". Don't we all deserve to have our own fairytale? Or should we settle for what is laid before us?

Does your answer change if what you are "settling" for is still something very real, but just not everything you want or need?

Is it so wrong to believe that you shouldn't have to settle for anything less than extraordinary? 

4 comments:

  1. not at all. never settle for less than ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I'd rather wait for something really worthwhile (even if it takes longer than I would hope) than settle for something lukewarm. There's no use in setting unreachable standards, but waiting for something that's really right for you is what it's all about right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you two agree! :) I hate when people try to get me to settle.

    ALH - That is exactly right!

    ReplyDelete